1. 3-tab shingles have only 1 shingle tab size and shape.
2. Architectural shingles are composed of one flat layer and do not have a dimensional look to them. Because they are more simple and are made up of less material they weigh less than architectural shingles.
3. 3-tab shingles are less thick than architectural shingles and almost always have a shorter year guarantee. Because of this 3-tab shingle roofs need to be replaced sooner than architectural shingle roofs.
4. 3-tab shingles cost less than architectural shingles.
5. 3-tab shingles are still preferred among residential rental properties and lower value homes where the initial higher cost can not be met for architectural shingles.
6. 3-tab shingles are on the decline in popularity.
The Two Most Common Residential Shingle Types
1. Architectural Shingles or a.k.a dimensional or laminate shingles differ from the traditional 3-tab asphalt shingle look. They differ because the actual shingle tabs have various sizes and shapes. These various sizes and shapes give them a more “dimensional” look to them and can actually make a shingle roof look more like shake. vs
2. Architectural shingles weigh more than 3-tab shingles. In fact, they weigh around 50 percent more than the asphalt 3-tab shingles. vs
3. Because architectural shingles are thicker than 3-tab shingles they have a longer warranty than most 3-tab shingles. Architectural shingles almost across the board have a minimum 30 year guarantee and are rated to resist higher speeds of wind. vs
4. Architectural shingles cost more than 3-tab shingles. vs
5. Architectural shingles help maintain or raise the value of the home as long as they are properly installed. They are a preferred shingle for homeowners because they help the homes value. vs
6. Architectural shingles are constantly becoming more and more popular in the roofing market. vs
Making sure your roof is sound and secure is incredibly important, yet many homeowners neglect their roofs. Like everything in your home, it requires maintenance!
If you haven't had your roof inspected recently, we're here to help. Maintaining your roof is a low-cost way of ensuring that your home, and your family stay safe.
Our mission at T&G Enterprise LLC is to serve the community both commercially and residentially with the utmost qualified and uncompromising workmanship and customer service. It's all about the relationship.
We strive for a position of leadership in the roofing industry. Built on a foundation of respect and trust, our goal is to build lasting customer relations, along with striving for complete satisfaction with our services.